A Single Melody, Towards The Chorus of Oblivion

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sacrifice

I am writing this for one reason, a written statement of my decision and hopefully it is a correct one.
Like many great figures in our long and rather blood history. Kings and queens of entire nations, where a single decision makes or breaks a nation. The weight of many humans lives on their shoulders, I'd like to believe that mine is much heavier, for what I'm about to do. It takes will do decide on something but it takes courage to act on it. 

After reading a blog written by a very good friend of mine, I realized just how far I've come in this existence of twenty one years...which is not very far. I have not accomplished all that I set out to achieve, and in my fleeting pursuit of self discovery, I found that there are aspects of me that are preventing this. Like all humans, it takes a lot to admit your fears, takes even more to face them.

The fear of failure, the fear of rejection, the fear of unrequited love, the fear of being alone. 

I think there is a saying that in order to gain something, you must first sacrifice something else. An easy exmaple would be a student striving to achieve an 'A' on a test, what he sacrifices is his time and energy.
For me to succeed I must also do the same, but my sacrifice is much more than time and energy.

Watching my parents while growing up I decided I didn't want to be like them and I wanted to be different. I fought hard against what I thought might have been my destiny. Yet for the past few years, no matter how hard I tried to fight against fate, fate pushed back harder, so I decided to give up instead. There is no use trying to alter that part of my life when it is useless. I don't see the point of torturing myself for something that's hopeless and fruitless. My time and energy could be better spent else where.

I will not, however give up on my dreams. Ambition is what drives us to succeed, the greater the ambition, the greater the sacrifice. My greatest dream is to become an author, I may not be the best at writing but, I will succeed. Our limitation is our beliefs, if we believe we'll fail then we will.

A good example of this is the one my business teacher gave us today. A Math teacher at high school was told that she will be teaching three classes, one class with over achievers and high grades, one with average grades, and one with low grades. At the end of the year the out come of each class remains the same and she was fired, because what she was told was a lie. All those three classes, were a mixture of students and all of them average, because she believed each class was different, she taught differently and mark differently and the results speak for themselves. Our beliefs are a powerful weapon as well as a weakness.

One belief of mine has proved to be a weakness, one I will now do without. And with this sacrifice, I hope to obtain my dreams and walk on a path of light that was once covered in shadow.

What I sacrifice is the beating in my chest.

1 comment:

  1. Really cool blog! I'm glad my blog post had some kind of effect on you, and I'm glad you're thinking carefully about your life on a large scale. I agree that we often create barriers for ourselves, and that sacrifices are important. I hope you become a great author, that goes for both of us! I'm more focused on writing and the pursuit of authorship than I was last time we met up, so hopefully I'll produce something tangible soon ^^'

    Best of luck, let's work hard!

    -Crimz

    ReplyDelete