A Single Melody, Towards The Chorus of Oblivion

Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Beginnings - The Training Regime

I have a lot to do in the next three months, because I am a budding author and a college student. I don't have a whole lot of time for anything else.

I decided I need to train, on my mind and my body.

I have the perfect training regime to get my mind back into writing shape. For too long I've been sitting and doing nothing but school work, I've avoided writing because of the fear nothing will come to me when I look at the blank page. However, if I take this seriously I'm sure I can do it.

But in order for me to get back into my writing form, I must go back to my roots, before certain events in my life started to change me: Poetry.

This is where it all began, four years ago when I wrote my first master piece; Frozen Flower. I definitely think if i go back to poetry, I can find the spark I once lost. I may have sacrificed my heart, but perhaps believing is not a bad idea, at least it can give me hope and that is all I have at the moment.

The idea is this, write one poem each day and post it, no matter what it is or how bad it is. I'll post one here and a site I've gone back to called AllPoetry.com. Some great stuff there.

Another part of my training program is story writing, there is a site called the Seventh Sanctum and in it has a story idea generator. What I will do each week is write two stories, the plot and theme will be given to my by the generator.

This week these are the two I will be writing:
1. A character becomes kind during the story. During the story, a character eats something that disagrees with them.
2. The story must have a gerbil at the end. A character becomes attracted to someone during the story.

The generator can set with up to 5 different elements of complexity to it, and I decided to start with two elements. Keep it simple, no use trying to stress myself to come up with something good.

Finally, training my body. I need confidence and to expand my self esteem, so why not start with my body. Work out, eat right and by summer have a killer body.

Despite the work load from school I hope to be able to achieve all these goals I've set out to do, it's time to eliminate all distractions and focus on the task at hand, I have given up on the pursuit of a certain kind of happiness but hopefully in turn it wont be in vain. I also hope I won't be tempted again either.

I've also decided to put my novels on hiatus at the moment, I can't defile my stories with a weakened mind and heart. Until I can reach the plateau I was standing on a few years ago, I will not go back to them yet. 

This all begins monday.

1 comment:

  1. Great. I'm sort of doing the same thing. I've posted up a somewhat lenient schedule for myself on my wall, and after a few weeks of adhering to it, I will implement the next item on the waiting list. One of the toughest things on it is to wake up early every day. I'm also incorporating exercise to keep myself feeling well. There's also a daily checklist on my wall, a sort of 'Wellness Pentagon' that I made up (as opposed to the 'Wellness Triangle'). The five areas are Mental, Work, Physical, Social and Sleep and I'm supposed to do each of those every day. Sleep means proper sleep at proper hours. Each day, I'll check off on each one that I do, using every fifth check to cross through the preceding four. At the moment, I probably won't get very many checks in Social or Sleep though. 'Work' refers to anything important, such as working on a novel or doing school work.
    Hopefully we can stick to these!

    ReplyDelete